The Common Application (Common App)
The Common Application has announced that the 2020-2021 essay prompts will remain the same as the 2019-2020 essay prompts. Based on extensive counselor feedback, the existing essay prompts provide great flexibility for applicants to tell their unique stories in their own voice. Retaining the essay prompts provides the added benefit of consistency for students, counselors, parents, and members during the admissions process.
The max word count for your Common App essay is 650 words.
The 2020-2021 Common Application Essay Prompts
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
4. Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
5. Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
6. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
7. Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
Culled from www.commonapp.org
The Coalition Application (Coalition App)
Many of the colleges and universities that accept the Coalition Application require you to submit at least one essay as part of your application. You can start working on these essays at any time and save drafts in your MyCoalition Locker.
The max word count for your Coalition App essay is 500-550 words.
The 2020-2021 Coalition Application Essay Prompts
1. Tell a story from your life, describing an experience that either demonstrates your character or helped to shape it.
2. Describe a time when you made a meaningful contribution to others in which the greater good was your focus. Discuss the challenges and rewards of making your contribution.
3. Has there been a time when you’ve had a long-cherished or accepted belief challenged? How did you respond? How did the challenge affect your beliefs?
4. What is the hardest part of being a student now? What’s the best part? What advice would you give a younger sibling or friend (assuming they would listen to you)?
5. Submit an essay on a topic of your choice.
Culled from http://coalitionforcollegeaccess.org
To learn more about our Essay Support Service, click on the link below
US College Experts is an educational consulting company entirely dedicated to preparing, inspiring, and connecting students to the best college opportunities.
Need help with discovering the colleges where you will thrive as a student? Contact US College Experts to schedule your FREE 20 Minute Introductory Call.
www.uscexperts.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | +1-301-744-0456